The Mindanao State University as conceived under RA 1387 has three major goals; 1) To perform the traditional functions of a University, namely instruction, research and extension service; 2) To accelerate the program of integration among the peoples of Southern Philippines particularly the Muslim and other cultural minority groups; and 3) To provide trained manpower skills and technical know-how for the economic development of the MINSUPALA region.
To achieve these goals the University has adopted scholarship and grants-in-aid schemes that are aimed at attracting not only bright and promising students from the service areas to maintain a high academic standard but also other students especially from less privileged families in cultural communities who do not have the luxury or opportunity to send their children to well-equipped and standard higher institutions of learning. For the former, a very competitive scholarship is given to them while the latter are provided with special grant/skills grants.
1. Science Scholarship – Awarded to the top examinees in the MSU System Admission and Scholarship Exam (SASE) who will enroll in the pure and applied sciences in the Colleges of Agriculture, Engineering, Fisheries, Forestry, Natural Science and Mathematics, Information Technology and Health Science including Eco-Tourism, and some courses in Education. Grade Maintenance: 2.20 or better (Cumulative Grade Point Average, CGPA)
2. Academic Scholarship – Awarded to the next top examinees in the MSU SASE who will enroll in the non-priority courses. Grade maintenance: 2.20 or better (Cumulative Grade Point Average, CGPA)
3. Special Muslim Study Grant – Awarded to the next top Muslim examinees in the SASE who attended and passed the summer CBP. Grade maintenance: 3.00 or better (Cumulative Grade Point Average, CGPA)
4. Entrance Scholarship – Awarded to high school valedictorians and salutatorians, as certified by their school principals. Grade maintenance: 2.75 or better (Cumulative Grade Point Average, CGPA)
Privileges: Free Tuition fees only.
5. Tuition Privilege Scholarship – Awarded to student who passed all his subjects during the previous semester, provided that he was carrying at least eighteen units as prescribed in the curriculum that he is following. Grade maintenance: 3.00 or better (Cumulative Grade Point Average, CGPA)
Privileges: Free Tuition fees only.
6. Cultural Community Grant (CCG) – The CCG is awarded to students who belong to the cultural communities of the MINSUPALA area and who passed the SASE but are financially handicapped to study in the University as determined by the screening committee. Grade maintenance: 3.00 or better, with one subject failure allowed per semester
7. College Bound Program Grant (CBP) - The CBP is awarded to the top participants of the annual Summer College Bound Program who belong to the cultural communities of the MINSUPALA area. Grade maintenance: 3.00 or better, with one subject failure allowed per semester
8. The Honor’s List of scholars in recognition of high academic performance.
A. Dean's Honors' List - Scholars who obtain a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 1.75 or better during the previous semester.
Privilege: Award of Certificate of Commendation.
B. Chancellor's Honors' List - Scholars who obtain a grade point average (GPA) of 1.25 or better during the previou semester.
C. President's Honors' List - Scholars who obtain a grade point average (GPA) of 1.00 during the previous semester.
9. Special Study Grants - Students with special skills and talents who, after screening, became regular members of talent, performing, and athletic groups are awarded Study Grants in any of the following, as appropriate:
Privileges: Monthly board allowance ranging from P250.00 to P450.00, free tuition and other school fess, and free dormitory accommodation.
SHIFTING OF COURSE: Once a scholar or grantee is enrolled in a program of study he cannot shift to another program otherwise he will forfeit his scholarship. In very exceptional cases, shifting within the same college may be allowed only with the permission of the Scholarship Committee.
Computation of Grade for Maintenance and Gaining of Scholarship and Study Grant
The computation of Grade Maintenance shall be by cumulative Grade Point Average, or CGPA.