In line with the mission and vision of the Mindanao State University, the MSU- Institute of Science Education aims to strengthen and revitalize its regional capabilities committed to the development and empowerment of the total person through excellent, relevant, responsive and effective academic programs, projects and researches in science and mathematics education.
In pursuing the mission, the MSU- Institute of Science Education aspires to become a leading institution of science and mathematics education deeply committed to the training and development of teachers, students, students and people in the MINSUPALA region.
OBJECTIVES and FUNCTIONS
A. MSU – Institute of Science Education
- To be a vehicle in achieving the national goals of Science and Math Education through instruction, research and extension.
- To gear Science and Technology education towards the promotion of socio-cultural , moral, economic and ecological development through instruction, research and extension.
- Improve the teacher’s competence and leadership capabilities in instructional and research endeavors.
- Inculcate and integrate in its graduate and secondary programs Filipino values of commitment, self-reliance and discipline to love of country, dedication to service, love of ecological integrity.
- To provide access to Science and Mathematics education through formal and non-formal system in the country.
- To establish linkage with other academic and semi-academic units of the system, DECS,DOST, other GO’s and national and international sectors in the promotion and improvement of Science and Technology Education.
- To advance knowledge through research works and apply new knowledge of improving the quality of human life, and responding effectively to changing social needs and conditions.
- To support activities and alternative delivery program for science and math education in cooperation with GO’s and NGO’s.
- To provide technical assistance in the implementation of Science and Math education activities and projects in the elementary, high schools, and communities within the service area.
- To provide a system of continuing education through the establishment of Radio-TV network and finally launching the classroom on the air program, supplemented with the mobile audio-visual units.
- To provide distance education; open education.
B. MSU ISED – Regional Science Teaching Center
The MSU-STC-Regional Science Teaching Center (MSU-STC-RSTC) is designated as an implementing arm of DOST Science Education Institute (SEI) by virtue of a Memorandum of Agreement entered into by and between the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) and the Mindanao State University on June 1992. DOST assisted programs, however, were implemented since 1974.
- To serve as RSTC of Science and Mathematics teachers for in-service- and pre-service teaching with its identified service areas namely: Marawi City, Iligan City, Lanao del Norte, and Lanao del Sur 1 and 11, and Maguindanao Province.
- To undertake promotion work to encourage more quality students to take pre-service education programs for science and mathematics.
- To develop science education programs for possible funding of local and foreign cooperating agencies.
- To conduct science teacher training programs according to identified regional needs.
- To conduct researches in the fields of science and mathematics.
- To provide technical assistance in the implementation of science education activities in the network of high schools as coordinated by node institution.
- To provide leadership role in science and mathematics activities in cooperation with DECS, DOST and other regional government offices.
- To conduct science education projects for the communities within its service area.
- To develop instructional materials appropriate to local situation.
- To cooperate in the sharing/pooling of resources with other RSTCs within the bounds of the school’s existing regulations and policies.
- To provide data to SEI and among network members to facilitate information exchange.
- To cooperate with and provide SEI with the needed information relevant to the various programs and projects implemented in for monitoring and evaluation purposes.
- To serve as clearing house of science and mathematics programs and activities.
C. MSU ISED – Science High School
The MSU-STC was established on March 28, 1974. The STC Director, cognizant of the poor preparation of high school graduates in Marawi City, proposed establishment of the MSU-STC Science High School as a feeder school for the university and laboratory training of the STC programs for elementary and secondary science and mathematics teachers. A four-year science curriculum was approved by the university council for consideration by the MSU Board of Regents, which was implemented during the SY 1975-1976.
Formally the MSU-STC Science High School curriculum was approved on June 1979 and implemented during SY 1980-1981. It started with the first year curriculum, and every year thereafter, until the four-year science curriculum was implemented. The MSU-STC-SHS turned out its first graduates in April 1984, and from thereon to the present.
To provide quality education for secondary students with the greatest potential for a future career in Science Math and Technology in Lanao areas and neighboring provinces.
- To produce graduates who are well-equipped in concepts and principles in Science and Mathematics and higher order thinking skills and scientific values.
- To produce students with skills to conduct research and apply the knowledge in solving the problem in the community.
- To produce graduates who are creative, competent and morally upright “maka-Diyos”, “maka-tao”, and “makakalikasan.”